Follow by Email

Monday, March 2, 2009

Got Soul?


I had quite a conversation with my musician son yesterday. I was asking him whether a certain person was a good musician. He said technically "yes", but that person didn't play with soul. And that was more important to him.

We also watched Top Chef on television and again there, one point of the judging was whether the Chef was technical and whether he had put some of himself into it.

So I started thinking about beadmaking and glass and whether this is an important attribute for our art/craft also. What do you think?

Although I admire technical excellence so much, I really enjoy artistic styles that show me who the artist is and their voice.
So tell me what you think about technical ability versus the artist's voice. What is important to you?