Follow by Email

Friday, March 6, 2009

Extreme Close Up- Trying Something New

I usually take photos of my entire bead (and lots of angles) when I'm listing them in my Etsy shop.  It just seemed like folks would want to know what's going on- like the big picture.

But I started thinking about some of the jewelry sellers there, and how so many of them take a close up of a section of their work as the main photo and then use complete views for the rest.  And you know what, I'm more attracted to those close up shots.

So today, I'm trying it with my Sock Monkey bead.  (do you love purple and aqua together like I do?)  I think she has a cute little face and it's been a long time since I've made one.  I used to make sock monkeys often to sell.  Besides, how often do you get to use stripes and polka dots together?

I believe in the past, one of the old advertising agency sayings was, "run it up a flag pole and see if anyone salutes." (like Mad Men tv show days).   It sure doesn't hurt to try it and see if there's a response.

So you tell me.  Do you start with a close up?  Do you include one later on in your listings?  If you tried it, did it seem to be good for sales?  I'm sure the bead itself makes a huge difference, but let's just tempt fate and see what happens.  (and tell us what you think, too!)