Follow by Email

Friday, September 26, 2008

More Inspiration...Ace of Cakes

I love watching Ace of Cakes on the Food Chanel. Baker Duff Goldman of Charm City Cakes', slightly irreverent style as well as the breadth of cakes that his company bakes, really makes me smile.

Watching his crew assemble and decorate their offbeat cakes reminds me in a way of making sculptural glass beads.

Their orders are custom orders and a lot of mine are also. Each one is a little different and always a challenge.

They are given a theme and then start researching online some reference photos.
After they find what they need, they print it out and often sketch more angles of it. I do that for
some of my more complex beads.

Of course, the scale is quite different as well as the components, but watching this show always inspires me. They love what they're doing, appear to have fun and have to use their imagination and resources on a daily basis.

Besides the really different ones, they also make layered cakes with cool color combinations and patterns.

So watch your favorite show and look at it a little differently. See whether it inspires you to try something new in your lampwork beadmaking. I know that Ace of Cakes does that for me.

Let me know if you'd like me to post some of my challenges over the next few weeks and show you the process from start to finish? Meanwhile, visit my etsy shop, http://www.StudioMarcy.etsy.com