Follow by Email

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Off To The Antarctic

Not me, but my daughter is.  I miss her already and she hasn't arrived there yet.  She's waiting for her transport plane from New Zealand.

She'll be working at the American scientific station down there and is quite excited to be going.  I'm really happy for her.  It will be summer, and the temperature will range from 40 degrees above to 40 degrees below O, while she's there.

She brought her banjo and has already mailed a box of hot sauce to herself, in case there isn't enough.  I have a feeling that there will be others who are one-of-a-kinds like she is.  I've been doing my research on her new temporary home and have learned quite a few things.  

1. There are no polar bears, but there are seals, whales and two types of penguins.

2.  Approximately 90% of the world's ice is located in Antarctica

3. There is an area called the "Dry Valleys" region which has not had any rain for at least 2 million years.  Scientists say its conditions are similar to Mars.

4. Antarctica is the best place in the world to find meteorites.

So please indulge me just for today.  I need to be a Mom and wish her the happiest adventure and how proud I am that she embraces life  with open arms.  I'll miss you for the holidays, but know that you'll be having a great time.

Come back tomorrow for more glass chat and inspiration.  Also, there will be more online coaching (Halloween!)  mid week.