Follow by Email

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Stringers Everywhere!


Oh, I save too much stuff. That includes stringers and little pieces of glass that I probably will never use again. I just hate to be wasteful.

So some days, I just try to use up a bunch of it. One of my favorite methods is to group a bunch of similar colors in one hand and melt them onto a transparent rod of glass. Then I pull it out into a larger stringer that I can really use. (alert: time waster, but fun).

Or I'll lay down a bunch of my less attractive ones to start off a shape of a bead and then add the base color over the top. (alert: time waster once again) This reduce, reuse, recycle thing gives me guilt trips if I don't find a way to use up this spare glass.

So now I'm trying to be mindful of making stringer. Unless it's something that I use a lot, I'm trying to make smaller ones to use up and store less. I find that I use the "emergency stringer" style of pulling it- (small amount off of the end of the mandrel that I'm using), serves me a little better some of the time.

So, this is a before photo of my table. I'm wondering...what do you do to tame the stringer and loose ends department of your glass work? I'd love to know.

See you tomorrow.